Saratele – Romanian Cheese Sticks
- 500 g white all-purpose flour
- 350 g feta cheese finely grated*
- 150 g salted butter coarsely grated*
- 350 g Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs + 1 for brushing
- Toppings: sesame seeds, hemps seeds, poppy seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients (except the toppings). Start by mixing with a spoon and then transfer to your hand. You may need more or less yogurt depending on how absorbent your flour is.
- Once the dough has become smooth, homogeneous, and is only slightly sticky, transfer it on a floured surface. Cut it in half and begin rolling out the first half using a lightly floured rolling pin. Form a long rectangle about half a centime thick. You can cut out the edges to obtain uniform sticks.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough to form long sticks with a width of about 1 cm and a height based on your own preferences. Transfer on the baking sheet.
- Repeat the last steps with the second half of the dough.
- Brush the dough with some beaten egg and add your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the sticks have become golden brown.
- Let them cool down a little and enjoy!