Sour Cherry Jam (Dulceata de visine)
- 2 kg sour cherries pitted
- 1.25 kg sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp sour cherry pits
- Place two small plates in the freezer to use for testing the jam.
- Place the pits on a small piece of cheesecloth and close it at the top with a string to form a small pouch. Attach the other side of the string to the handle of the saucepan such that the pocket will be immersed into the jam as it simmers.
- Place the sour cherries, sugar and lemon juice into the saucepan and mix. Simmer uncovered over a medium-high heat for 40-50 mins, stirring frequently until thick and glossy.
- After 40 mins, spoon a little of the jam onto one of the chilled plates. Leave for 1 min, and then press a fingertip into the jam. If it starts the wrinkle, it’s ready. If it slides away, the jam will need to cook for a little longer. Continue to boil for an extra 10 mins, then test again on the second plate.
- Spoon the jam into sterilized jars and seal or enjoy right away!