When my dad was young, he used to spend Christmas at his grandparents’ house in the Rhine valley in Germany. His grandmother always prepared tons of cookies for Christmas and I’ll share with you the recipe of these cookies called Vanillekipferl!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup roasted ground almonds optional, can be replaced by non-roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, cut in cubes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- 1/4 cup icing sugar to sprinkle on the cookies
- Preheat the oven at 350°F (106°C).
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, almonds, sugar, salt) using a whisk.
- Add the butter cut in cubes, the vanilla extract, and the almond extract to the dry ingredients. Combine using an electric mixer.
- You will obtain a very sandy dough. Using 1-2 tbsp of cookie dough, give the cookies a crescent form with your hands.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and cook them for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden on the sides.
- Let them cool down for about 5 minutes and sprinkle the icing sugar.
- Enjoy your cookies!